31.12.13

2013, in review

Highlights from 2013 include working at a nonprofit I'd dreamed of being part of since I was 17, a memorable #dcaway trip that involved a Rodney Wallace goalazo, riding my bike to the coast on the fourth of july, spending all too many summer nights listening to Andrew Simon sing karaoke, participating in a few bike moves (including one in a typhoon), somehow managing to become Board PResident of a board I care about and not yet running it into the ground, winning said nonprofit a hefty grant and surviving our big annual fundraiser, the Fort George stout festival in Astoria, a trip to Arizona to learn about just how noble cacti are and also some trails stuff, a pretty extravagant set of birthday celebrations, that time I got a bunch of important portland politicos to tweet about The Wire,  four points in three trips to Seattle, testifying in front of City Hall twice, rabble rousing with the media (and them letting me actually write my own damn piece about my man-child love of my beloved club), somehow managing to be runner-up to jobs-of-my-dreams roughly five times this year, and ending the year unemployed and broke! That's a highlight right?

I didn't do nearly as much with music this year as I have in year's past; good shows I can recall include Sally Ford and the Sound Outside, the Death Cab for Cutie Transatlanticism Anniversary Show,  (whatever, it was awesome), talkdemonic and Helio Sequence at Cleveland High School, the Dismemberment Plan, and Magic Mouth's show at pdxpopnow. I didn't go to many movies this year either, but I remember really liking How to Survive a Plague, and Frances Ha, and I enjoyed them both immensely.

2013 was a year on the precipice, of being so tantalizingly close to success, to "making it," to being as baffled as anyone else that the Timbers were on the verge of a trophy. While so much of this year largely came up empty, my Stockholm Syndrome for this town, this community, this group of friends and allies and people who mean the world to me only grows. I spent a lot of time on a bike, I spent a lot of time with a beer in my hand, I spent a lot of time doing what I love. I don't have much to complain about, although a job would be nice. I was always a fan of even-numbered years anyway.

Onward!

(2012)(2011) (2010) (2009) (2008)


Waffles and hangovers. Good morning, originally uploaded by _ambrown.


upload, originally uploaded by _ambrown.



It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood., originally uploaded by _ambrown.


Hello and welcome to nopo's newest resident, courtesy of friends of trees, originally uploaded by _ambrown.


upload, originally uploaded by _ambrown.

Good morning., originally uploaded by _ambrown.


Oh man, I love these guys., originally uploaded by _ambrown.



We'll say the Timbers brought us here., originally uploaded by _ambrown.


upload, originally uploaded by _ambrown.

Hallowed Grounds. #rctid, originally uploaded by _ambrown.


upload, originally uploaded by _ambrown.

Prepping for #dcaway, originally uploaded by _ambrown.


#rctid #dcaway #threepoints, originally uploaded by _ambrown.





upload, originally uploaded by _ambrown.



@aaron_maples are you in this?, originally uploaded by _ambrown.

.@anomalily #pedalpalooza, originally uploaded by _ambrown.


upload, originally uploaded by _ambrown.


Oregon, my Pacific Wonderland. , originally uploaded by _ambrown.



Two more shots from Thursday's 100.7 mile #neskowinorbust trek., originally uploaded by _ambrown.



Make way for ducklings, originally uploaded by _ambrown.


Cruisin' down burnside, originally uploaded by _ambrown.


#pdxsummer, originally uploaded by _ambrown.




Sunny sowa, originally uploaded by _ambrown.


St. John's you are my favorite, originally uploaded by _ambrown.




A good night., originally uploaded by _ambrown.


Oregon, my Oregon., originally uploaded by _ambrown.


The summer's life is good., originally uploaded by _ambrown.



Ugh, what jackass wrote this shit., originally uploaded by _ambrown.


How cool is it that we get to watch the very infrastructure that holds our rainy city together being built and renewed before our very eyes?, originally uploaded by _ambrown.








America's pedestrian holiday, originally uploaded by _ambrown.


upload, originally uploaded by _ambrown.


#brobrunch, originally uploaded by _ambrown.


#deathbyburnside, originally uploaded by _ambrown.


No comments: